In this video, the author demonstrates how to create a vFlash Resource Pool and assign a reservation to a Virtual Machine (VM) in VMware vSphere 6.
- [Voiceover] In this video,…we'll be using the VMware Hands-on Lab Environment,…to demonstrate vFlash.…Specifically, I'll be using the…What's New with Virtual SAN 6.2 Hands-on Lab.…Before we can configure vFlash on a virtual machine,…we need to make sure that the feature is enabled…on the ESXi Host that the virtual machine is running on.…So let's start by going to Hosts and Clusters.…I'll expand my Virtual Data Center,…and here you can see we have Cluster Site A,…Remote Office Branch Office Cluster,…and a host called ESX-07a.…
We have one virtual machine called Linux-micro-01a.…Let's see which ESXi host…this virtual machine is running on.…ESX-03a dot corp dot local.…So we'll enable the vFlash feature on this host,…assuming that it has built-in flash storage.…We'll click on the ESXi Host,…click on Manage,…scroll down,…and let's take a look at the Virtual Flash Resource…Management screen.…
So we can see at the moment,…there isn't any capacity that's currently assigned…for Virtual Flash Resource Management.…Let's hit the Add Capacity Button,…
VMware Certified Instructor Rick Crisci provides an overview of vSphere resource controls—shares, limits, and reservations—and their impact on performance and VSWP file size. Rick explains exactly what happens when virtual machines compete for resources, the role of swap files, and how resource controls help automate allocation.
In chapter 2, Rick shows how to manage performance with resource pools, including child pools. He explains the impact a reservation has on resource pools, and includes a demo on creating and configuring a resource pool. Chapter 3 is an overview of the vFlash architecture for leveraging SSD resources. Watch this chapter to learn how to configure vFlash reservations and to assign a reservation to a VM.
Note: This course maps to the Administer and Manage vSphere 6.x Resources domain of the vSphere Certified Professional 6—Data Center Virtualization (VCP6DCV) exam.
- Allocating memory and CPU
- Using ESXTOP
- Configuring reservations, limits, and shares
- Managing performance with resource pools
- Creating child and tiered resource pools
- Leveraging SSD resources with vFlash