Learn how to create and configure a resource pool with child resource pool objects in VMware vSphere 6.
- [Voiceover] In this video, I'll show you how to create…a child resource poor and I'll demonstrate this process…using the VMware hands-on lab environment.…In this case, the hands-on lab that I'm using…is the vSphere with Operations Management 6 Hands-On Lab.…And for the purposes of this demonstration,…you'll notice that I'm going to rename some virtual machines…just to make this process a little more clear.…So let's start by browsing to the Host and Clusters…configuration area.…
And here we see we have a number of clusters…on different data centers, managed by different…vCenter instances.…We're going to focus on Cluster Site A-1…which has two ESXi hosts and it already contains…a resource pool called Production.…Like I said, I'm gonna rename some virtual machines,…so let's pick this first virtual machine…and let's rename it HR.…So here's a virtual machine that's in use by our HR staff.…And we'll take this second virtual machine…and we'll rename this as well.…
We'll call this virtual machine DEV.…Now I'm going to create some child resource pools…
VMware Certified Instructor Rick Crisci provides an overview of vSphere resource controls—shares, limits, and reservations—and their impact on performance and VSWP file size. Rick explains exactly what happens when virtual machines compete for resources, the role of swap files, and how resource controls help automate allocation.
In chapter 2, Rick shows how to manage performance with resource pools, including child pools. He explains the impact a reservation has on resource pools, and includes a demo on creating and configuring a resource pool. Chapter 3 is an overview of the vFlash architecture for leveraging SSD resources. Watch this chapter to learn how to configure vFlash reservations and to assign a reservation to a VM.
Note: This course maps to the Administer and Manage vSphere 6.x Resources domain of the vSphere Certified Professional 6—Data Center Virtualization (VCP6DCV) exam.
- Allocating memory and CPU
- Using ESXTOP
- Configuring reservations, limits, and shares
- Managing performance with resource pools
- Creating child and tiered resource pools
- Leveraging SSD resources with vFlash