Learn how to configure all of these resource controls on a Virtual Machine,and understand their impact on a VMware vSphere 6 virtual machine (VM).
- [Voiceover] In this video, I'll be showing you…how to assign shares, limits and reservations…to individual virtual machines.…And we're gonna use the vmware hands on labs…environment to display these tasks.…In this care, we're using the vsphere…with operations with management six…hands on lab from vmware.…To configure these settings on a virtual machine,…we have a couple different options or how we can do it.…We can go to either the hosts and clusters view…or the Vms and templates view.…I'm gonna choose the hosts and clusters view…and here on the left hand side you…can see the inventory of our virtual environment.…
Let's choose a virtual machine and click on it.…So here in the vsphere web client we have a couple…different ways to do a lot of different things.…For example, I could click on the manage tab…for this virtual machine and under settings here,…I can view any CPU reservations or share settings…that might already exist and I can click…edit here to modify those settings.…We can get to the identical menu…
VMware Certified Instructor Rick Crisci provides an overview of vSphere resource controls—shares, limits, and reservations—and their impact on performance and VSWP file size. Rick explains exactly what happens when virtual machines compete for resources, the role of swap files, and how resource controls help automate allocation.
In chapter 2, Rick shows how to manage performance with resource pools, including child pools. He explains the impact a reservation has on resource pools, and includes a demo on creating and configuring a resource pool. Chapter 3 is an overview of the vFlash architecture for leveraging SSD resources. Watch this chapter to learn how to configure vFlash reservations and to assign a reservation to a VM.
Note: This course maps to the Administer and Manage vSphere 6.x Resources domain of the vSphere Certified Professional 6—Data Center Virtualization (VCP6DCV) exam.
- Allocating memory and CPU
- Using ESXTOP
- Configuring reservations, limits, and shares
- Managing performance with resource pools
- Creating child and tiered resource pools
- Leveraging SSD resources with vFlash