The Top Shelf is a showcase area above the top row of apps on the Apple TV Home screen. The user can decide which apps are in the top row. When one of these apps is brought into focus, the top shelf displays featured content specific to that app. The top shelf is a unique opportunity for an app to highlight new, featured, or useful content and let the user jump directly to it. You are going to use the top shelf to give your users a shortcut to get to the weather for the current location or the weather for a user specified city.
- [Instructor] The Top Shelf is the area…above the top row of apps on the Apple TV home screen.…At the moment, we only have the Settings app…and our Weather app here, and as you can see,…our Weather app does not have any Top Shelf elements.…And the Settings app just uses a static image here,…which is one possibility that you have for the Top Shelf.…And you can only use the Top Shelf if the user decides…to put your app into this top row,…which is quite an honor, because it allows you…to showcase important app features, featured content,…and so on.…
And I'm going to open up the tvOS Human Interface Guidelines…to show you a little bit more about the Top Shelf.…You can just Google the Human Interface Guidelines…and find that on the Apple Developer homepage.…And if we have a look at the Top Shelf Images,…you can see that the static image is definitely an option…that you can go with.…In the documentation here, you will also find…the sizes that are required for those images,…and also the different possibilities…of, for example, dynamic content.…
- The Siri remote
- The focus model
- Adding video assets and imagery
- UIKit components
- Location services
- Accessing a Web API
- Enabling the top shelf and layered images
- Setting up shortcuts
- Communicating with URL schemes
- Adding a layered app icon
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introducing tvOS Development
2. Your First tvOS App: Build the UI
3. Your First tvOS App: Add the Logic
4. Multipeer Connectivity
5. Final Touches
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.