The Siri remote is the interface between your users and your app. Not all of the available buttons however are available to developers. And not all of the UI interactions you know from iOS or macOS are available through the touch surface of the Siri remote. The key for delivering a great user experience is for your app to make good use of the tvOS focus model. For example, people move focus from element to element, stop on a specific one, and click to access content or initiate action. Thereby you must make sure that as focus changes, users can clearly identify the item that’s currently in focus.
- [Tutor] Users are interacting with your tvOS apps…by using the Siri Remote.…Since they are not directly touching objects on the screen,…there needs to be a way to highlight elements…that are currently in focus,…and that is where the focus model comes into play.…But before we talk about that…let's have a closer look at the Siri Remote…which really comes with great features,…and there is of course the Touch surface…in the upper-third of the remote,…but you also get an accelerometer,…and a gyroscope that you can use for your apps and games.…
Let's first of all have a look at the Touch surface…and there you can listen for basically three events.…We get a swipe, a click, and a tap,…and the most important thing here is…that you use the right gestures for the right purposes,…because users are expecting specific behavior…from a specific gesture.…We're going to have a look at these behaviors right now.…Starting again with the Touch surface…and here taps and swipes are expected…to let users navigate and change focus.…
- The Siri remote
- The focus model
- Adding video assets and imagery
- UIKit components
- Location services
- Accessing a Web API
- Enabling the top shelf and layered images
- Setting up shortcuts
- Communicating with URL schemes
- Adding a layered app icon
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introducing tvOS Development
2. Your First tvOS App: Build the UI
3. Your First tvOS App: Add the Logic
4. Multipeer Connectivity
5. Final Touches
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.