Join Joe Chellman for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding how jQuery plugins are used, part of jQuery: Creating Plugins.
After that you instantiate the plug-in on a jQuery object.…So this will take the form of loading up a div…in jQuery, usually referenced by the dollar sign…or by jQuery itself and then calling a method…which is then frequently the name of the plug-in.…It'll look something like that.…Afterwards, you'll frequently chain on other functions…and that ends up looking something like this…where you first collect the jQuery object,…then tag on a method that comes from the plug-in,…
- Writing basic jQuery filters
- Converting filters to plugins
- Converting code to plugins
- Making plugins configurable
- Adding appearance options and functions
- Distributing jQuery plugins