Join Joe Marini for an in-depth discussion in this video Basic selectors, part of jQuery Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Basic jQuery selectors work by using…a CSS-like syntax to select content from the page.…Let's take a look at the syntax for each of these,…and then we'll see how they work in our example exercise.…To select all the elements in a page…with a particular tagName,…I simply pass the name of the tag to the jQuery function,…which will select all of those elements.…Similarly, I can pass an identifier of a specific element,…and jQuery will select the element with that ID attribute…that has the same name as the identifier.…
I can also select elements that have a particular class name…by passing in the className proceeded by a period,…just like you would define it in CSS.…I can get a little more fancy by specifying tags…that have a particular className…by giving the name of the tag, followed by a period,…and then the name of the class, just like in CSS.…I can get even more fancy than that.…I can say get me the element…that has a specific tag type and has an ID…and a class of the className that you see here.…
- What is jQuery?
- Using selectors and filters to extract information
- Creating, inserting, and animating page content
- Handling events
- Understanding jQuery statement chaining
- Working with CSS
- Building event handlers
- Animating with jQuery: showing, hiding, and fading page elements
- Working with AJAX
Skill Level Beginner
1. A Quick Introduction to jQuery
2. Working with Page Content
3. Manipulating Page Content
4. jQuery Events
5. Animations and Effects
6. AJAX Operations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.