Join Joe Marini for an in-depth discussion in this video Basic filters, part of jQuery Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Code Practice
- [Instructor] jQuery filters are used in conjunction…with selectors in order to further refine a result set…that comes back from a selector expression.…In this chapter we'll cover filters,…and then we'll see how they work in real code.…Let's look at the basic filters available in jQuery.…I can use the first and last filters…to select the first or last instance…of a given selector type.…The filter's specified using a colon…before the name of the filter.…We'll see in a few minutes how these are used…in conjunction with selectors.…Similarly, I can use the even or odd filters…to select only even or odd numbered items…in a particular matched result set.…
I can use expressions like greater than, less than,…or equal to, so I can use these filters, for example,…to pass in indexes and say, "I only want paragraph tags…"with indexes less than five."…Or, "I only want a list item that's equal to index two."…Again, we'll see that in a little bit.…I can also specify that I only want to filter out items…that are currently in the process of being animated,…
- What is jQuery?
- Using selectors and filters to extract information
- Creating, inserting, and animating page content
- Handling events
- Understanding jQuery statement chaining
- Working with CSS
- Building event handlers
- Animating with jQuery: showing, hiding, and fading page elements
- Working with AJAX
Skill Level Beginner
1. A Quick Introduction to jQuery
2. Working with Page Content
3. Manipulating Page Content
4. jQuery Events
5. Animations and Effects
6. AJAX Operations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.