Take a look at the finished web site here.
- Preparing web graphics
- Preparing the base container
- Manipulating links with CSS
- Adding a drop-down menu
- Downloading jQuery and adding interactivity to a project
- Creating city details
- Overriding click events of anchor tags with jQuery
- Enhancing the design with CSS3
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hi this is Chris Converse and this is a course on creating an interactive map for your website. I want to start by showing the final project inside of the exercise files that you can download as part of the course. So inside of the Final Project Folder I'm going to open up the html file. So what we're going to be creating is this interactive map. We're going to have a drop down menu in the lower left-hand area. Selecting different items in the drop down menu will change the dots that are plotted across the map. So if I come over here and select Europe, for example, any dot that is not on Europe will fade away, and only the dots that are assigned to Europe will show up.
Now want of the advantages of a framework like jQuery is that the code that we develop for one platform will work across the other platform and devices as well. So here we are looking at the exact same user experience over in Windows 7 on IE9, and I can come in here and click on the individual dots, change the form menu, and get exactly the same user experience we were just looking at over on the Mac platform over in Safari. Now in addition to computer screens, we can also take a look at this across mobile devices. So when I bring up an Android simulator here showing us the handheld device, I can come in here and tap the individual dots on an Android phone and see the same exact user experience.
Or even come into a tablet simulator and take a look at the same user experience running on an iPad simulator as well. I'm going to hit Command Right Arrow to rotate this. Hold Option to pinch up. Tap and move around. Tap on the individual dots and see the content change here as well. So I hope this sounds interesting to you, and if so let's get started with the first movie.