Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Compass app, part of iOS 5: iPhone and iPod touch Essential Training.
As I mentioned in an earlier movie, with the iPhone 3GS and later, Apple…included a built-in digital compass.…This Compass is what allows the iPhone to among other things show you which…way you're currently facing in the Maps App but it also powers the included Compass app.…As you can see, the Compass app is designed to look and act like a real…compass, and it acts like a real compass because it is a real compass running…off a real magnetometer.…So as I rotate the iPhone around, the compass continues to point north…while also displaying my heading as well as my current longitude and latitude position.…
Now, if you're familiar with using a compass, you know there's a difference…between True North and Magnetic North.…Magnetic North is where traditional compasses point towards which happens to be…about 11 degrees shy of True North which is where the most northern point of…the earth's axis lies.…If you have a strong preference one way or the other, tap the Info button and…choose either True, or Magnetic North. Then, tap Done.…
- Exploring the touchscreen interface
- Setting up iPhone and iPod touch preferences
- Synching with a Mac or PC
- Typing with the intelligent keyboard
- Making phone calls and retrieving voicemail
- Finding a location with Maps
- Downloading and playing music and video
- Shooting and editing photos and video
- Using accessibility features
- Tweeting on the iPhone
- Locating a lost iPhone with Find My iPhone
- Sending free text messages with iMessage
- Finding and purchasing applications from the App Store
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Basics
2. The Essentials of Typing
3. Syncing with a Computer
4. The Phone Part of the iPhone
6. Surfing the Web
7. The iPod Part of the iPhone
8. Shooting Photos and Video and Managing the Photo Library
9. Getting Around
10. Managing Your Time
11. Taking Notes
12. The Other Included Apps
13. The App Store
14. Important Settings
15. Protecting Your iPhone
16. Using Siri and Voice Control
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.