Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Texting, MMS, and iMessage, part of iOS 5: iPhone and iPod touch Essential Training.
Unless you've been living in a cave or on a remote island for the past several…years, you probably know what texting is.…But briefly, texting or as it's officially known, Short Messaging Service or…SMS, is a service for sending short messages, usually under 200 characters or a…few sentences, from one phone to another.…The idea behind texting is that its immediate communication in the same sense…that a phone call is immediate, but it's also less formal than sending an email to someone.…Texting is for times when you want to ask a question or say something to a…friend or co-worker, but don't want to speak on the phone, either because it…would be unnecessary, or because you or your recipient are in an environment…where talking on a phone is just not possible or just inconsiderate.…
And in addition to text messages, you can even send and received photos and…short video clips via text messaging.…So let's take a quick walk through texting on the iPhone.…To send a text message from your iPhone, tap the Messages app.…
- Exploring the touchscreen interface
- Setting up iPhone and iPod touch preferences
- Synching with a Mac or PC
- Typing with the intelligent keyboard
- Making phone calls and retrieving voicemail
- Finding a location with Maps
- Downloading and playing music and video
- Shooting and editing photos and video
- Using accessibility features
- Tweeting on the iPhone
- Locating a lost iPhone with Find My iPhone
- Sending free text messages with iMessage
- Finding and purchasing applications from the App Store
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Basics
2. The Essentials of Typing
3. Syncing with a Computer
4. The Phone Part of the iPhone
6. Surfing the Web
7. The iPod Part of the iPhone
8. Shooting Photos and Video and Managing the Photo Library
9. Getting Around
10. Managing Your Time
11. Taking Notes
12. The Other Included Apps
13. The App Store
14. Important Settings
15. Protecting Your iPhone
16. Using Siri and Voice Control
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.