Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Purchasing apps, part of iOS 5: iPhone and iPod touch Essential Training.
Once you've found an app you want to have on your iPhone or iPod, the next step…is to purchase it if it's not a free app and then install it on your device.…Whether an app costs money or whether it's free, the process for acquiring…an app is the same.…You can purchase and install it either in the iPhone or iPod or from iTunes on your computer.…Let's look at both ways starting with the iPhone or iPod touch.…Hey look, I found the lynda .com app on the App Store.…Let's tap it to see its details.…So again, on the details page you can read about the app, see some screenshots…and read some reviews.…Also note at the bottom of the page, you can see how large the app is, which is…handy for seeing how much space it will take up on your iPhone or iPod touch.…
As I'm recording this movie, any apps that are over 20 megabytes in size cannot…be downloaded without a Wi-Fi connection.…So if you're on an iPhone and you're only current connection to the internet is…your cellular network and you try to download an app over 20 megabytes in size,…
- Exploring the touchscreen interface
- Setting up iPhone and iPod touch preferences
- Synching with a Mac or PC
- Typing with the intelligent keyboard
- Making phone calls and retrieving voicemail
- Finding a location with Maps
- Downloading and playing music and video
- Shooting and editing photos and video
- Using accessibility features
- Tweeting on the iPhone
- Locating a lost iPhone with Find My iPhone
- Sending free text messages with iMessage
- Finding and purchasing applications from the App Store
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Basics
2. The Essentials of Typing
3. Syncing with a Computer
4. The Phone Part of the iPhone
6. Surfing the Web
7. The iPod Part of the iPhone
8. Shooting Photos and Video and Managing the Photo Library
9. Getting Around
10. Managing Your Time
11. Taking Notes
12. The Other Included Apps
13. The App Store
14. Important Settings
15. Protecting Your iPhone
16. Using Siri and Voice Control
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.