Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Dictating in apps, part of iOS 5: iPhone and iPod touch Essential Training.
We have seen that you can use Siri to listen to text messages and that you can…dictate replies to Siri as well.…Now, even though Siri can't currently read emails or other text, you can still…dictate email messages or just about anything else you'd want to write in other…applications like Facebook updates or tweets.…Technically, this isn't a Siri command.…It's just considered voice dictation but you are using the same basic functionality.…Anything you dictate is uploaded to Apple servers, transcribed, and then sent…back as plain text and placed into your document.…So as with Siri, you need to have an internet connection in order for…dictation to work.…Also as with Siri, dictation is only available on the iPhone 4S at this time.…
For example, let's go into Mail and I'll compose a new message.…Let's tap in the body of the message.…Generally, anytime you're using an App that has a keyboard, you should see…this microphone button next to the spacebar, as long as you have an internet connection.…Tapping it will open a microphone icon and you can start dictating your…
- Exploring the touchscreen interface
- Setting up iPhone and iPod touch preferences
- Synching with a Mac or PC
- Typing with the intelligent keyboard
- Making phone calls and retrieving voicemail
- Finding a location with Maps
- Downloading and playing music and video
- Shooting and editing photos and video
- Using accessibility features
- Tweeting on the iPhone
- Locating a lost iPhone with Find My iPhone
- Sending free text messages with iMessage
- Finding and purchasing applications from the App Store
Skill Level Beginner
iMovie for iPad Essential Trainingwith Garrick Chow1h 37m Beginner
1. The Basics
2. The Essentials of Typing
3. Syncing with a Computer
4. The Phone Part of the iPhone
6. Surfing the Web
7. The iPod Part of the iPhone
8. Shooting Photos and Video and Managing the Photo Library
9. Getting Around
10. Managing Your Time
11. Taking Notes
12. The Other Included Apps
13. The App Store
14. Important Settings
15. Protecting Your iPhone
16. Using Siri and Voice Control
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.