Join Steven Lipton for an in-depth discussion in this video The notification extensions, part of iOS and watchOS App Development: Notifications.
- [Instructor] You might be wondering something…about the last chapter, and user info.…We were able to present the user info…in the local snooze notification,…but not in the push notification.…How do you present the user info in a pushed notification?…How do you add a photo to a push notification…if you have a 4K maximum payload?…How do developers add or enhance content to do that?…An advanced feature of the user notification framework…is the extensions.…There's two extensions you should know about,…the Service Extension and the Content Extension.…
The Service Extension intercepts payloads for APNs,…and gives you the chance to change content…in the notification before it is presented.…In the Service Extension, you can modify your content…with a UNMutableNotificationContent object…and get the same results you've seen…with the local notification on snooze.…That's how we'll get the user info in the push notification.…The Content Extension gives you a storyboard…to design your notification.…You can more stylize your notification here,…
- Requesting user permission
- Static vs. dynamic notification content
- Sending local notifications
- Updating and removing notifications
- Creating custom notifications
- Adding categories and actions to notifications
- Pushing notifications
- Building push notification payloads: alerts and actions
- Adding service and content extensions
- Attaching rich media: images, audio, and video
- Creating watchOS notifications
Skill Level Intermediate
Apple watchOS 4 App Development Essential Trainingwith Steven Lipton3h 10m Intermediate
1. User Permissions
2. Local Notifications
3. Notification Management
4. Interacting with Notifications
5. Push Notifications
6. Push Notification Payloads
7. The Service Extensions
8. The Content Extension
9. Rich Media in Notifications
10. Apple Watch Notifications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.