Watch this tutorial for an overview of iBeacon technology, standards, and deployment environments for iOS.
- [Narrator] In iOS, to monitor beacons,…we need to make use of the Core Location,…and Core Bluetooth frameworks.…When monitoring for Beacons,…we're monitoring what are called Beacon Regions.…And each Beacon has an identity…that can be broken up into three parts.…First, we have the proximity UUID,…or Univerally unique identifier.…It's 128 bit Value that identifies the Beacon.…This helps distinguish a Beacon from another.…
We also have a Major, and a Minor Value.…In the event that a Beacon has the same UUID,…these two additional Values…help further distinguish one from another.…The Major Value's also known as the most significant Value.…It is used to specify a sub region…inside of a broader region of Beacons.…The Minor Value, or the least significant Value,…is meant to divide a sub region even further.…For example, say we're in a Beacon region,…where all of the Beacons have the same UUID.…
Like in a department store.…The store's Beacons have the same UUID,…to identify it's location.…However,…we're able to further break down this store's departments,…
- What is iBeacon?
- Turning your iOS device into a beacon
- Discovering device locations
- Monitoring for iBeacons
- Responding to beacon discovery
- Creating a beacon-based app
Skill Level Intermediate
Programming the Internet of Things with iOSwith Michael Lehman2h 49m Intermediate
Programming iOS 9 and GamePlayKitwith Tammy Coron1h 32m Intermediate
Developing for the Apple iCloud API with iOSwith Todd Perkins1h 18m Intermediate
1. Introduction to iBeacons
2. iBeacons with iOS Devices
3. Create a Beacon-Based App
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.