Join Todd Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video The finished widget, part of iOS App Development: Working with Widgets.
- [Instructor] In this course we're going to develop this widget. It's an accompanying extension to a note-taking app. The widget is designed to show notes that you've taken recently. And there are some buttons like a plus button to create a new empty note. There's a view all button to view all of your existing notes. And you can click on any item in this list to go inside of that note and edit it. You can then make changes. And you can see the list of notes in the application.
Go back to the home screen and put it back on the widget. So throughout the course, we're going to be building this widget from scratch. We'll build all of the user interface elements, talk about how to name the widget, how to show or hide the widget, how to control how high the widget is in your user interface, how to show and hide portions of it, and how to build all the details of the user interactivity including sending the data to your app about what the app should go to when the app is opened from your widget.
So let's get started.
- Understanding the possibilities and limitations of widgets
- Adding a Today extension
- Adjusting widget size
- Connecting UI elements to code
- Creating an app group for sharing data
- Creating custom app URLs
- Sending and receiving URL parameters
- Parsing URL parameters
- Handling URLs
- Going to a specific screen from a widget