Learn what widgets are and how to implement them in your iOS applications. Explore the possibilities and limitations of widgets and learn how to create a simple widget.
- [Todd] Hi, I'm Todd Perkins. Welcome to this course on designing widgets for iOS. Widgets, also known as Today Extensions, are mini apps connected to your main application that allow users to perform simple tasks quickly. This course is dedicated to showing what widgets are and how to implement them in your applications. We'll start with an overview of the possibilities and limitations of widgets in iOS and the general workflow for adding them to your applications. From there, we'll design a basic widget, going into detail about how to design a user interface that can change in size at a user's command.
After that, we'll discuss how to share data between your widget and your full application. Finally, we'll wrap up with adding functionality to our widgets, so you can use buttons from your widget to open up specific parts of your main app. So, let's make some widgets.
- Understanding the possibilities and limitations of widgets
- Adding a Today extension
- Adjusting widget size
- Connecting UI elements to code
- Creating an app group for sharing data
- Creating custom app URLs
- Sending and receiving URL parameters
- Parsing URL parameters
- Handling URLs
- Going to a specific screen from a widget