Explore the exciting updates and new features in the iOS 8 SDK, including playgrounds, unified storyboards, app extensions, and the HealthKit and HomeKit frameworks.
- [Voiceover] Hi, my name is Lee Brimelow, and welcome to iOS 8 SDK New Features. This course will give you a hands on overview of the major new features available to developers in iOS 8. The new version of Xcode, Xcode 6, allows you to experiment with swift, a brand new programming language and interactive environments, known as playgrounds. We'll also cover a variety of other useful Xcode features, such as live view rendering, in interface builder, unified story boards for targeting multiple iOS screen sizes, and live interactive view debugging.
We'll explain how app extensions enable you to provide functionality to your users outside of your application. We'll also discuss how to read and update your users health information, using the new health kit framework, and show you how to control a new class of smart home devices, using the home kit framework. And this only scratches the surface. So let's get started with iOS 8 SDK New Features.
- Getting started with Swift
- Using Swift playgrounds
- Exploring unified storyboards
- Understanding how extensions work
- Creating a Today widget
- Using the Photos framework
- Controlling graphics with the Metal framework
- Overview of HealthKit and HomeKit
- Combining Swift and Objective-C