Join Steven Lipton for an in-depth discussion in this video Watch push notifications, part of iOS and watchOS App Development: Notifications.
- [Instructor] The last thing I want to show you…about the Apple Watch extension…is how it handles push notifications,…which is a very different thing than iOS.…At the top, you'll see under the Watch Schemes…a special notification scheme.…Go ahead and find that scheme,…and I'm going to set this to iPhone XS Max,…an Apple Watch Series 4 - 44mm,…and go ahead and run that right now.…What this will do, will simulate the push notification.…The project will load,…and shortly after the project loads…on the phone,…you'll see a notification show up on your watch.…
Go ahead and stop the app,…and you'll find down here,…in the WatchKit extension,…PushNotificationPayload.apns.…They've created an APNs file for you.…You can put whatever you want in here,…to be your push payload for testing.…And there's a whole, big, long description…down here for you.…But pretty much the same thing…as we've already talked about.…You start with the aps,…you put an alert with a body, a title, and a subtitle,…categories, thread IDs, all the same.…The only thing that's a little different…
- Requesting user permission
- Static vs. dynamic notification content
- Sending local notifications
- Updating and removing notifications
- Creating custom notifications
- Adding categories and actions to notifications
- Pushing notifications
- Building push notification payloads: alerts and actions
- Adding service and content extensions
- Attaching rich media: images, audio, and video
- Creating watchOS notifications
Skill Level Intermediate
Apple watchOS 4 App Development Essential Trainingwith Steven Lipton3h 10m Intermediate
1. User Permissions
2. Local Notifications
3. Notification Management
4. Interacting with Notifications
5. Push Notifications
6. Push Notification Payloads
7. The Service Extensions
8. The Content Extension
9. Rich Media in Notifications
10. Apple Watch Notifications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.