Join Steven Lipton for an in-depth discussion in this video Watch looks, part of iOS and watchOS App Development: Notifications.
- [Narrator] Apple's philosophy for Apple Watch…is the user interacts with the watch in seconds,…not minutes as they would with a phone.…To make this process as fast as possible for the user,…there's not one, but two notifications,…referred to as looks, displayed for everyone on the phone.…Watch notifications originating from the phone…appear if the phone is locked…for local notifications and push notifications.…The wearer of the Apple Watch starts with a tone,…a haptic, and a short look notification.…
The short look is two seconds long…with a larger icon and app name.…It is an alert of an incoming notification.…After two seconds, the long look notification appears.…The long notification is similar to the phones notification,…with content and actions.…If you tap the content and there's a watch app,…the app will launch.…If there's not, you may get more detailed notifications.…For the phone, we've seen there is a default notification…and the content extension.…
There are four flavors of long looks on the watch,…
- Requesting user permission
- Static vs. dynamic notification content
- Sending local notifications
- Updating and removing notifications
- Creating custom notifications
- Adding categories and actions to notifications
- Pushing notifications
- Building push notification payloads: alerts and actions
- Adding service and content extensions
- Attaching rich media: images, audio, and video
- Creating watchOS notifications
Skill Level Intermediate
Apple watchOS 4 App Development Essential Trainingwith Steven Lipton3h 10m Intermediate
1. User Permissions
2. Local Notifications
3. Notification Management
4. Interacting with Notifications
5. Push Notifications
6. Push Notification Payloads
7. The Service Extensions
8. The Content Extension
9. Rich Media in Notifications
10. Apple Watch Notifications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.