Join Todd Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Using instance variables, part of Programming for Non-Programmers with iOS 8.
- So now we've gotten our practice creating…variables in a playground.…Now let's look at the real world application…of variables by adding one…into an actual Xcode project.…So I'm going to click create a new Xcode project,…and under iOS application I'm going to choose…single view application and just click next.…Here I need to give a product name,…so I'll type instance variables,…and I'm going to click next,…leaving the same settings that I used…for the earlier project I created.…
I'll save this in the chapter two folder…in my exercise files, and then I'll click create.…So in here we want to write code.…Now the place that we're going to write code…is ViewController.swift.…So in the project navigator, click on…ViewController.swift, and you'll see the code…show up in the editor.…Now I want as much space as possible…for writing code, so I'm going to hide…the utilities area by clicking the appropriate…button at the top right of my screen in the toolbar.…Now in here there's already a lot of code.…
Some of it may be a little bit confusing.…
If you find you'd like to learn more, see iOS App Development Essential Training, Foundations of Programming: Fundamentals, or any of the other programming courses in our library.
- Installing Xcode
- Creating an Xcode project
- Configuring the iOS Simulator
- Understanding variables
- Connecting visual objects to variables
- Understanding functions, methods, and selectors
- Connecting a button to a method
- Using conditional statements
- Setting up the user interface
- Connecting code elements to build an app
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting Up Your Coding Environment
Creating an Xcode project3m 38s
2. Programming Building Blocks: Variables
3. Programming Building Blocks: Functions
4. Programming Building Blocks: Conditional Statements
Using conditional statements4m 11s
5. Building Your First Full Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.