Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the modal view, part of iOS App Development: Building Data-Driven Apps with SQLite.
- On the main view of the BW RSS app,…you'll see a button with a plus sign.…This is for adding a new feed.…When you press on the Add Feed button,…a modal view appears with a form for adding the feed.…This is a common visual modal for an Add Item action…so it's familiar to the user.…It's called a modal view because it's temporarily displayed…on top of another view and it must be dealt with…before returning to the parent view.…A modal view is typically used to present and edit page…or additional details of a modal object.…
Take care to always include clear…and prominent Completion and Cancel buttons.…In this case, the Completion button is labeled Add.…A modal view is distinctly different from a typical view.…When you're using a modal view,…you need to keep a few things in mind.…First, never display an alert…or other modal object from a modal view.…The danger is that the modal view may be dismissed…before the alert and this would leave…the alert orphaned and cause your app to crash.…
Also never send messages directly to another view object…
- Building a testbed
- Creating an Objective-C interface for SQLite
- Creating a CRUD interface
- Designing the database schema
- Creating the main table view
- Creating the items table view
- Adding new feeds
- Parsing feeds with NSXML Parser
- Viewing webpages
- Preparing icons and toolbar images
- Adding a preferences pane
- Including pull-to-refresh and other features
Skill Level Intermediate
Android App Development: Local Data Storage (2013)with David Gassner3h 41m Intermediate
1. Building a Testbed
2. Building the Database Library
3. Creating the Main Table View
Populating the table view3m 30s
4. Creating the Items Table View
5. Adding New Feeds
6. Viewing Webpages
7. Preparing the Visual Assets
8. Adding a Preferences Pane
9. Adding Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.