Join Todd Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding methods, part of Programming for Non-Programmers: iOS 8.
- Methods are the next building block…of programming that we're going to discuss.…Methods are the verbs or actions of programming…which means they are named sections of code…that are logically grouped.…For example, when we speak of grabbing…two different shoelaces, twisting them…around and then tying them in a knot,…we call that action tying your shoes.…In the same way, if you're playing a game…and the player scores in the game, the score…variable or number value needs to be updated…as well as the visual value in the score text field.…
So that's two different steps but we can combine…those steps together in one action and name that…something like "player did score."…So we can group commands together in…our code and name those groups.…This helps us to reduce verbosity…and redundancy in our code.…Just as being able to say tying your shoes…reduces verbosity when you're talking about…the act of tying your shoes so you don't have…to say each individual step.…
Just like any real world action,…the definition is not the execution.…
If you find you'd like to learn more, see iOS App Development Essential Training, Foundations of Programming: Fundamentals, or any of the other programming courses in our library.
- Installing Xcode
- Creating an Xcode project
- Configuring the iOS Simulator
- Understanding variables
- Connecting visual objects to variables
- Understanding functions, methods, and selectors
- Connecting a button to a method
- Using conditional statements
- Setting up the user interface
- Connecting code elements to build an app
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting Up Your Coding Environment
Creating an Xcode project3m 38s
2. Programming Building Blocks: Variables
3. Programming Building Blocks: Functions
4. Programming Building Blocks: Conditional Statements
Using conditional statements4m 11s
5. Building Your First Full Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.