Join Todd Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding how programming works, part of Programming for Non-Programmers: iOS 8.
- So how does programming work?…Programming consists of three steps.…We first write the code, the code is then compiled,…and then the code runs.…Let's talk about those processes in detail.…When we write our code,…we write in a human readable language.…Now, you may be looking at this and thinking,…"How can any human being read that?"…But if you look closely, you'll see English words.…Func is actually short for function.…You'll see viewDidLoad, super, valueString and mode.…
So while there are some special characters…like parentheses, curly braces and quotes,…the language that we write the code in is English.…Compiling the code is known as building in Xcode.…Compiling your code translates your code into a language…from English to a language that a computer can understand.…It also creates an app file known as an executable.…Though this process may sound complex,…it's actually all done with a press…of a single button in Xcode.…
When you're compiling code,…you can designate certain lines of code…that the compiler can ignore.…
If you find you'd like to learn more, see iOS App Development Essential Training, Foundations of Programming: Fundamentals, or any of the other programming courses in our library.
- Installing Xcode
- Creating an Xcode project
- Configuring the iOS Simulator
- Understanding variables
- Connecting visual objects to variables
- Understanding functions, methods, and selectors
- Connecting a button to a method
- Using conditional statements
- Setting up the user interface
- Connecting code elements to build an app
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting Up Your Coding Environment
Creating an Xcode project3m 38s
2. Programming Building Blocks: Variables
3. Programming Building Blocks: Functions
4. Programming Building Blocks: Conditional Statements
Using conditional statements4m 11s
5. Building Your First Full Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.