Join Todd Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the Xcode interface, part of Programming for Non-Programmers with iOS 8.
- Xcode can be an overwhelming application.…But as you become familiar with the interface,…it begins to feel more intuitive.…Let's discuss how the user interface is organized in Xcode.…The first place we're going to look, is the Toolbar.…Toolbar is at the top of the screen.…On the left side of the Toolbar,…you have options for testing your application.…In the center, you see your project name…and the status of your application in its last test.…And then at the top right, we have…two sets of three buttons each.…
The set on the left we aren't going…to use much until later on.…So for right now, I'm not going to talk about it.…The set on the right allows you to show or hide…particular areas of the user interface.…The areas that are highlighted in blue are showing.…So if I click this left button,…you'll see the Navigator disappear.…And then the Navigator will reappear…if I click the button again.…We can do the same thing for the bottom area,…which gives you code feedback.…I'll hide that area.…
And the right side is the Utilities area.…
If you find you'd like to learn more, see iOS App Development Essential Training, Foundations of Programming: Fundamentals, or any of the other programming courses in our library.
- Installing Xcode
- Creating an Xcode project
- Configuring the iOS Simulator
- Understanding variables
- Connecting visual objects to variables
- Understanding functions, methods, and selectors
- Connecting a button to a method
- Using conditional statements
- Setting up the user interface
- Connecting code elements to build an app
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting Up Your Coding Environment
Creating an Xcode project3m 38s
2. Programming Building Blocks: Variables
3. Programming Building Blocks: Functions
4. Programming Building Blocks: Conditional Statements
Using conditional statements4m 11s
5. Building Your First Full Application
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.