Join Nick Harauz for an in-depth discussion in this video Telling your story, part of Creating Online Video with the iPhone.
- So, whenever you pick up any camera device you wanna think about telling a story. Telling a story that's gonna draw a person in. When I went out to make this course, one thing that I did is I loved the Distillery District, and that's where I live. I go to a coffee shop daily called Arvo, and I thought it would be a great idea to tell a documentary in the framework of this course. Sitting right next to me is Justin, the owner of that coffee shop, who's also agreed to participate in this iPhone filming. What I wanted to do was get him to talk a little bit about how he uses his iPhone in social media to tell his story at this coffee shop.
So tell me a little bit about yourself Justin. - Yeah, well, Arvo's been around for a year and 10 months now. We're in the Distillery of course, and we just love what we do, and getting to know you on a daily basis has been fun. So, when you pitched this concept I thought it would be a good opportunity to get some content, and to help you on your project. - [Interviewer] Awesome, cool, yeah, so you use this iPhone particularly in social media quite a bit. - [Justin] Yeah. - [Interviewer] I've noticed your Instagram account, it's awesome. It has amazing shots of coffee.
You take shots of your clientele, you take shots with your customers. I'm wondering, how has this tool provided you a way of telling a story that you wouldn't have ever been able to do 10 years ago. - Yeah, I think social media is always changing, and videos are trending right now, and they're, especially short videos that have some amazing content. It could really send a message a lot more than an image can, so I think a combination of both is powerful.
- Awesome man, I'm excited to give you some really cool images with this capture little device here. We're gonna take it, we're gonna put it in some creative places. We're gonna show you some filming techniques in terms of interviews. I'm really excited to show you the end result.
- Planning your production
- Finding affordable lighting and audio equipment
- Shooting video at the right size and frame rate
- Preparing an iPhone for recording
- Shooting slow-motion and time-lapse video
- Editing video on your iPhone or computer
- Using third-party apps