Join Todd Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up the developer tools, part of Building a Note-Taking App for iOS 8.
- The only developer tool you'll need…for this course is Xcode, which can be found…in the Mac App Store.…So I'll just search for Xcode, all one word,…and the first app shown here is Xcode,…so I'll click on that, and here you'll find access to Xcode.…You should be using Xcode Six or above.…You'll see 5.5.1 on my screen right now,…and that's just because at the time of recording,…Xcode Six has not been released to the public yet.…I'm using a beta version.…You can click the link here to download and install Xcode.…It might take a while to download,…so feel free to watch the next few movies…that explain why we're using Xcode,…and a little bit about iOS development in general,…before we actually start making applications.…
Each of these courses helps you build a complete mobile app from scratch; this installment uses the iOS SDK and Xcode to get the job done. Author Todd Perkins shows you how to create an Xcode project, lay out apps visually, connect UI elements to code, and save data to persistent storage. Start here with iOS 8, and compare your results with the Android and Windows Phone courses to learn about the differences and similarities of these mobile platforms.
- Previewing the note-taking app's features
- Creating the Xcode project
- Using local data storage
- Creating a data class
- Saving data to a file or user defaults
- Understanding screens and storyboards
- Controlling transitions between views
- Connecting the controller to the data
- Creating, editing, and deleting notes