Join John Nastos for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of iOS Address Book App: Hands On.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] Building an iOS app can be a huge project,…but any project has a starting point,…and some fundamental skills necessary to get going…to build the foundation for a masterpiece.…In our address book sample application…we made use of many elements that iOS apps…tend to use as their building blocks…such as a split view controller, a table view in cells,…labels and buttons, storyboards, and more.…We also talked about testing strategies…to create robust and reliable code.…Finally, we touched on steps that you will take…to finish up an app such as icon and launch image design,…as well as getting it submitted to the App Store.…
Now that you have an understanding…of these fundamental elements of app design…you're ready to take your next steps.…If you'd like to continue using this sample app…to work on your coding skills you can consider…adding more fields to the contacts…including attaching profile pictures to them.…Also, adding the ability to share contacts.…You could work on expanding the search capabilities…
Build the project step-by-step and then use what you've learned to explore your own app ideas.
- Creating the project in Xcode
- Using Auto Layout to design the UI
- Attaching the interface to the code
- Creating the data model, including a Person class
- Adding stored data to the UI
- Displaying a contact's address with MapKit
- Linking contact info to other iOS apps
- Adding persistence
- Working with table views
- Writing tests
- Preparing to publish the app in the App Store