Explore different types of directions. Understand the limitations of transit directions. Learn to launch transit directions in the Maps app.
- [Narrator] You've built the app…and are seeing directions between restaurants.…However, I set this app up to work…only with automobile directions.…What would happen if you were walking…or riding the bus?…Shut down the app…and go back to the find directions method…in the view controller swift file.…Find where it said automobile…and change that to walking.…Hit run, go to Chicago…and hit find.…
You get a very different route.…Beverly Hills doesn't change at all…because it only has one short route.…Go ahead and stop the app.…Change the transport type again.…You'll see transit, type that.…Run it again.…Once again click Chicago and find.…This time we get nothing, but we do get an error.…
Public transportation directions…do not exist in MapKit, only in Apple Maps.…While you can get an ETA for MapKit,…you can't get the directions.…You have to launch Apple Maps.…I'll go through the basic launch of Apple Maps.…If you want to do more than that,…I suggest reading Apple's documentation…on point-to-point directions in locations…and maps programming guide…
- Getting coordinates from the web
- Working with Core Location data types and regions
- Creating a map in 2D, 3D, satellite, and flyover views
- Adding annotations
- Adding overlays
- Finding the current location
- Tracking heading, speed, and region
- Searching for locations
- Requesting and displaying directions
Skill Level Intermediate
Advanced iOS Development: Working with APIswith Saul Mora1h 59m Intermediate
1. Basic Map and Location Concepts
5. Current Location
6. Heading, Speed, and Regions
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.