Join Steven Lipton for an in-depth discussion in this video Get the token, part of iOS and watchOS App Development: Notifications.
- [Instructor] To use a remote notification provider,…you need a certificate and a token.…The app generates the token with information…about the device running the application.…It asks APNS some questions and APNS returns the token.…Back in Xcode, we stubbed a method earlier…that gives us that token.…The deviceToken is of type Data.…Online test platforms, like we will be using,…want a string.…You'll need to convert this to a string…of eight-bit hexadecimal numbers.…
Now, I saved you some time here,…and I wrote a little function down here called tokenString…that does this conversion.…This converts the data into a usable token string.…If working with unsigned integers…is unfamiliar to you, check out the iOS Development…Weekly Tip on unsigned integers for more explanation.…Let's go back to that TODO,…and I can add this right in here…by just printing it to the console,…tokenString deviceToken.…
In our exercises, I'm cutting and pasting this…into a website, so sending it to the console…is what I want.…Now, we're ready to run.…
- Requesting user permission
- Static vs. dynamic notification content
- Sending local notifications
- Updating and removing notifications
- Creating custom notifications
- Adding categories and actions to notifications
- Pushing notifications
- Building push notification payloads: alerts and actions
- Adding service and content extensions
- Attaching rich media: images, audio, and video
- Creating watchOS notifications
Skill Level Intermediate
Apple watchOS 4 App Development Essential Trainingwith Steven Lipton3h 10m Intermediate
1. User Permissions
2. Local Notifications
3. Notification Management
4. Interacting with Notifications
5. Push Notifications
6. Push Notification Payloads
7. The Service Extensions
8. The Content Extension
9. Rich Media in Notifications
10. Apple Watch Notifications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.