Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Finding a feed link in a webpage, part of iOS SDK and SQLite: Building Data-Driven Apps.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Now that we have the AddFeedView constructed,…our first task is to get the URL for the RSS feed.…Most websites today support the…RSS Autodiscovery specification.…Autodiscovery uses a link tag to point…to the URL for an RSS feed.…Our AddFeedViewController will have…support for either the URL of an RSS feed,…or the URL of a webpage that…supports RSS feed Autodiscovery.…For example, this is the source code for…my personal webpage.…
And you'll notice right here, on line 4,…this link rel, which stands for relationship,…=alternate, type=…"application/rss+xml".…And then there's a title, and an href,…with the actual link to the RSS feed.…So this is, in a nutshell,…the RSS Autodiscovery specification.…A webpage will contain a link tag,…with the relationship of alternate,…and the type of application/rss+xml.…
If it has that, and an href…with a valid url in it,…then you likely have an RSS feed url.…So if I build and run this,…and I press command R do just that,…and I press the + to add an RSS feed,…I can put in a website, I would put in my…
- Building a testbed
- Creating an Objective-C interface for SQLite
- Creating a CRUD interface
- Designing the database schema
- Creating the main table view
- Creating the items table view
- Adding new feeds
- Parsing feeds with NSXML Parser
- Viewing webpages
- Preparing icons and toolbar images
- Adding a preferences pane
- Including pull-to-refresh and other features
Skill Level Intermediate
Android SDK: Local Data Storagewith David Gassner3h 41m Intermediate
1. Building a Testbed
2. Building the Database Library
3. Creating the Main Table View
Populating the table view3m 30s
4. Creating the Items Table View
5. Adding New Feeds
6. Viewing Webpages
7. Preparing the Visual Assets
8. Adding a Preferences Pane
9. Adding Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.