Join Kevin Favro for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring accessibility settings, part of iOS App Development: Accessibility.
- [Instructor] IOS allows users to adjust…how on-screen elements will display and behave…in order to provide a more comfortable experience.…Apple refers to these settings as visual accommodations.…And in this video, we'll take a look at a few of these,…and see how Apple adjusts some of their built-in apps…to respect these preferences.…For users preferences are also exposed to our apps,…and later on we'll adjust some of the UI…in the Bridge's app to respect these settings.…If I go to settings, general, accessibility,…I'll find several options pertaining…to visual accommodations.…
Let's start with larger text.…If I adjust the UI slider control,…I can inform the system of my preferred reading size.…Dragging the slider around,…adjusts the font size on screen dynamically.…If I enable the larger accessibility sizes,…I can increase the font size even more.…Apple's apps have all been updated to respect this setting,…but you'll need to make adjustments in your own app…if you haven't already.…Now let's take a look at bold text…
In this course, explore the different accessibility technologies that are built into iOS, and learn how to build apps that all users can access. Follow Kevin Favro as he explains how to audit your app for accessibility problems, and explores various iOS technologies—including VoiceOver, a screen reader that lets you use phone even if you don't see the screen—and other considerations that might prevent someone from effectively using your app.
- Reviewing the accessibility features in iOS
- Exploring accessibility settings
- Working with VoiceOver
- Exploring Switch Control
- Using the Accessibility Inspector
- Using VoiceOver to audit your app
- Reviewing Dynamic Type
- Reducing transparency
- Reducing motion
- Setting bold fonts and darker colors
- Understanding how elements are opted into the accessibility system
- Making custom objects accessible
- Working with the VoiceOver rotor
- Working with Guided Access
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Accessibility Overview
2. Accessibility Audit
3. Improving Our App: Visual Accommodations
4. Improving Our App: Semantic Accessibility
5. Improving Our App: Accessibility Customizations
6. Improving Our App: Guided Access
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.