Join Kevin Favro for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring Switch Control, part of iOS App Development: Accessibility.
- [Instructor] Switch Control is an assistive technology…built right into iOS that helps users with physical…and motor disabilities use their devices.…For these people, accurately touching their screen…is difficult, so switch control is used in parallel…with a physical joystick or set of Bluetooth…connected buttons that can be tapped with any…functioning body part, like a head or a finger.…Switch Control can be enabled in settings, general,…accessibility, Switch Control.…
If I enable it, we can see it in action.…Similar to Voiceover, a focus ring appears…highlighting individual accessibility elements.…Switch Control sweeps through the interface…with no user interaction necessary.…When the focus ring has highlighted an element…of interest, the user can simply tap their button…or joystick to activate more options.…We don't currently have any switches configured,…so you're free to tap wherever you want.…Go ahead and turn Switch Control off.…If I go to switches, add new switch, you can…see that three different types of switches…
In this course, explore the different accessibility technologies that are built into iOS, and learn how to build apps that all users can access. Follow Kevin Favro as he explains how to audit your app for accessibility problems, and explores various iOS technologies—including VoiceOver, a screen reader that lets you use phone even if you don't see the screen—and other considerations that might prevent someone from effectively using your app.
- Reviewing the accessibility features in iOS
- Exploring accessibility settings
- Working with VoiceOver
- Exploring Switch Control
- Using the Accessibility Inspector
- Using VoiceOver to audit your app
- Reviewing Dynamic Type
- Reducing transparency
- Reducing motion
- Setting bold fonts and darker colors
- Understanding how elements are opted into the accessibility system
- Making custom objects accessible
- Working with the VoiceOver rotor
- Working with Guided Access
Skill Level Intermediate
Core Data for iOS and macOS Enterprise Developerswith Jon Bott1h 46m Intermediate
1. Accessibility Overview
2. Accessibility Audit
3. Improving Our App: Visual Accommodations
4. Improving Our App: Semantic Accessibility
5. Improving Our App: Accessibility Customizations
6. Improving Our App: Guided Access
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.