Join Kevin Favro for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring Guided Access, part of iOS App Development: Accessibility.
- [Instructor] Up until now, we've been working…with the UI Accessibility API to make our app…more accessible for voiceover and switch control users.…Our app has come a long way.…Now let's switch gears and talk about another…assistive technology that will allow us to support…a different group of users.…Guided access is a feature in IOS that helps people…with autism or other attention and sensory challenges…stay focused on one app at a time.…Guided access is typically configured by…a parent, teacher or therapist,…and they can limit an iPhone to stay on one app…by disabling the Home button,…or limit the amount of time spent in an app.…
Keyboard access can be restricted as well as touch input…on certain areas of the screen,…so taps and gestures won't distract from learning.…In this video, we'll look at how to enable guided access,…and how to begin a guided access session.…Then we'll look at the different restrictions…that a parent, teacher or therapist can configure.…The first thing we need to do is turn guided access on.…
In this course, explore the different accessibility technologies that are built into iOS, and learn how to build apps that all users can access. Follow Kevin Favro as he explains how to audit your app for accessibility problems, and explores various iOS technologies—including VoiceOver, a screen reader that lets you use phone even if you don't see the screen—and other considerations that might prevent someone from effectively using your app.
- Reviewing the accessibility features in iOS
- Exploring accessibility settings
- Working with VoiceOver
- Exploring Switch Control
- Using the Accessibility Inspector
- Using VoiceOver to audit your app
- Reviewing Dynamic Type
- Reducing transparency
- Reducing motion
- Setting bold fonts and darker colors
- Understanding how elements are opted into the accessibility system
- Making custom objects accessible
- Working with the VoiceOver rotor
- Working with Guided Access
Skill Level Intermediate
Core Data for iOS and macOS Enterprise Developerswith Jon Bott1h 46m Intermediate
iOS App Development: Test-Driven Developmentwith Harrison Ferrone2h 14m Intermediate
1. Accessibility Overview
2. Accessibility Audit
3. Improving Our App: Visual Accommodations
4. Improving Our App: Semantic Accessibility
5. Improving Our App: Accessibility Customizations
6. Improving Our App: Guided Access
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.