Join Steven Lipton for an in-depth discussion in this video Expired extensions, part of iOS and watchOS App Development: Notifications.
- [Instructor] You might be tempted to load an image…from a server in a push notification…or other content that might take awhile.…If you load it within a short window of time,…it will load, but it may also timeout.…When it times out, it shows the original payload…from the server, but you get one last…chance before that happens.…Find the notificationservice.swift file.…And if you go down in there.…You can take a look here. You'll see that there's…a method called service extension time will expire.…
And it says here, called just before the…extension will be terminated by the system.…Here, you've got a very short time to get some content in.…It'll generally be just text content.…You could, for example, add just above the content handler…an extra little bit on the title.…So we can put, for example,…bestAttemptContent.title = bestAttemptContent.title…and we're just going to append onto the end of that…Late or something to that effect.…
Now there's not much to test here.…But as part of the service extension you should…
- Requesting user permission
- Static vs. dynamic notification content
- Sending local notifications
- Updating and removing notifications
- Creating custom notifications
- Adding categories and actions to notifications
- Pushing notifications
- Building push notification payloads: alerts and actions
- Adding service and content extensions
- Attaching rich media: images, audio, and video
- Creating watchOS notifications
Skill Level Intermediate
Apple watchOS 4 App Development Essential Trainingwith Steven Lipton3h 10m Intermediate
1. User Permissions
2. Local Notifications
3. Notification Management
4. Interacting with Notifications
5. Push Notifications
6. Push Notification Payloads
7. The Service Extensions
8. The Content Extension
9. Rich Media in Notifications
10. Apple Watch Notifications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.