Learn about CLLocationDistance in Core Location and the MKDistanceFormatter.
- [Instructor] I lied a little about…MapKit's regions being a rectangle…and Core Location regions being a circle.…More accurately, their rectangles…are circles in planar geometry.…The world is a globe, and that…means these are global geometry, not planar.…For small distances such as a kilometer…or a mile, you won't be able to tell the difference.…But there will be accuracy errors…creeping in as you get bigger distances.…Let's look at why.…I'll use a pizza slice here to help me out.…The pizza slice has an angle, which…could be our latitude or longitude.…
If I draw a straight line against this angle,…as we have with flat planar geometry,…from one edge of the pizza to…the other, we have a distance.…That distance, however, cuts off some crust.…While not everybody likes the crust,…I happen to like all my pizza.…On a circle, there's a lot longer…distance along the outside of the crust.…On a globe, that means an error…in your distances between two points.…Core Location and Core Maps assumes…global coordinates and global geometry.…
- Getting coordinates from the web
- Working with Core Location data types and regions
- Creating a map in 2D, 3D, satellite, and flyover views
- Adding annotations
- Adding overlays
- Finding the current location
- Tracking heading, speed, and region
- Searching for locations
- Requesting and displaying directions
Skill Level Intermediate
iOS App Development: Test-Driven Developmentwith Harrison Ferrone2h 14m Intermediate
Advanced iOS Development: Working with APIswith Saul Mora1h 59m Intermediate
1. Basic Map and Location Concepts
5. Current Location
6. Heading, Speed, and Regions
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.