Learn about the use of overlays. Discover how to use a circular overlay .
- [Instructor] Sometimes, we don't need a point…for annotation, but instead an area, line, or tile.…To show those on a map, we use an overlay.…Overlays setup a lot like annotations.…We start with an overlay of a object,…and then the MapKit delegate method for overlays,…tell the system what overlays views go where.…Overlays can have several standard shapes.…You can use circles, polygons, and poly lines…as built in shapes, plus the tile overlay.…I'll introduce overlays with circles.…Let's suppose we want to show a delivery area…using a circle as the delivery area.…
We need an instance of MK circle class to do that.…Based on a center point, and a radius.…I'll use the coordinate of the restaurant…as our center, and a distance in meters,…which becomes the radius of our circle.…Close the app.…And head over to the instant methods…for the overlays…where I have a nice little mark.…And we're going to add a new function here.…Add delivery overlay.…
And I'm going to make a radius of 1,600 meters.…This is got to be double,…so make sure I put point zero.…
- Getting coordinates from the web
- Working with Core Location data types and regions
- Creating a map in 2D, 3D, satellite, and flyover views
- Adding annotations
- Adding overlays
- Finding the current location
- Tracking heading, speed, and region
- Searching for locations
- Requesting and displaying directions
Skill Level Advanced
Advanced iOS Development: Working with APIswith Saul Mora1h 59m Intermediate
1. Basic Map and Location Concepts
5. Current Location
6. Heading, Speed, and Regions
Next steps1m 38s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.