Join Ron Buencamino for an in-depth discussion in this video Broadcast and monitor beacons in iOS, part of Deliver Location-Based Notifications with iBeacons in iOS.
- [Instructor] In iOS, we can both monitor for beacons,…as well as turn our device into a beacon.…Core location and core bluetooth…provide the necessary tools for us to do both.…To advertise, we'll use CBPeripheralManager.…This will allow us to monitor bluetooth state changes…so that we can act accordingly.…We'll need to enable the…bluetooth peripheral background mode…to allow this manager to work.…Otherwise, we'll error out.…
CLBeaconRegion is a class used…to set a beacon region.…It requires a UU ID and an identifier to initialize,…and we can add a major or a minor value optionally.…We use a peripheral manager to advertise…our beacon regions on our device.…We are informed of changes from our peripheral manager…via delegate methods that we can respond to.…The delegate method we wanna pay attention to…is peripheralMangerDidUpdateState.…
To identify beacons, we'll use CLLocationManager…so that we can monitor for CL beacon regions.…It should be noted in that in iOS,…we can only monitor for beacon regions…that are specifically entered.…
- What is iBeacon?
- Turning your iOS device into a beacon
- Discovering device locations
- Monitoring for iBeacons
- Responding to beacon discovery
- Creating a beacon-based app
Skill Level Intermediate
Programming the Internet of Things with iOSwith Michael Lehman2h 49m Intermediate
iOS 9 App Development: GamePlayKitwith Tammy Coron1h 31m Intermediate
1. Introduction to iBeacons
2. iBeacons with iOS Devices
3. Create a Beacon-Based App
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.