There’s a variety of steps, classes, delegates, callback methods, and more involved in the flow of managing Bluetooth LE communication. But the core ideas are consistent and can be generalized. It needs to be understand how the process works, what to expect, and how to handle the unexpected. Your app will be involved in each step.
- [Announcer] Now let's look at some of the aspects…of Bluetooth Low Energy Communication.…Peripherals advertise in the broadcast sense…details about themselves that centrals can pick up on…as they're scanning.…When a central discovers a peripheral…that it's interested in,…it can request a connection.…Once that connection is made, it can request…to discover the services of that peripheral.…The details of the services are passed back to the central,…and it can determine which services it's interested in.…
For any interested services,…it can request the characteristics.…This is the place where the data is written to,…and read from, on the peripheral.…The process is not necessarily linear at the start.…A central can be scanning at any point,…and a peripheral can be advertising.…Once the central discovers the peripheral,…based on the advertised data,…it can request the connection.…When the connection is successful,…it can request to discover the services,…and the services data is returned from the peripheral…back to the central.…
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) basics
- Core Bluetooth key classes
- Scanning for peripherals
- Discovering services and characteristics
- Writing to a characteristic
- Reconnecting to peripherals
- Apps as peripherals
Skill Level Intermediate
1. BLE Basics
2. Scanning, Connecting, and Discovering
3. Writing to a Characteristic
Adding additional features10m 43s
4. An App as a Peripheral
Next steps1m 7s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.