Join Steven Lipton for an in-depth discussion in this video Ask user permission, part of iOS and watchOS App Development: Notifications.
- [Instructor] To use notifications,…you must ask permission of the user.…If you do not heed the user's permission settings,…your app will be rejected by Apple.…Fortunately, the UserNotifications framework…does most of that work for you.…The best place to do that is the AppDelegate,…where we've already started.…The line we created, I'm going to go ahead…and finish that off by adding requestAuthorization.…And you'll see down here, requestAuthorization options.…There's two parameters here.…
The first is the options we'll be using.…There's three basic display options you can use…and I'm going to add all three.…And you do that in an array or a collection.…There's .alert…which will give you a visible notification.…You can add a sound…or a haptic by using sound.…And finally, the badge…which gives you the little red badge on the icon.…
Double-click on the completion handler place marker…and that'll give you a closure.…And there's two identifiers here.…I'm going to make them granted…which tells us if we actually got permission.…
- Requesting user permission
- Static vs. dynamic notification content
- Sending local notifications
- Updating and removing notifications
- Creating custom notifications
- Adding categories and actions to notifications
- Pushing notifications
- Building push notification payloads: alerts and actions
- Adding service and content extensions
- Attaching rich media: images, audio, and video
- Creating watchOS notifications
Skill Level Intermediate
Apple watchOS 4 App Development Essential Trainingwith Steven Lipton3h 10m Intermediate
1. User Permissions
2. Local Notifications
3. Notification Management
4. Interacting with Notifications
5. Push Notifications
6. Push Notification Payloads
7. The Service Extensions
8. The Content Extension
9. Rich Media in Notifications
10. Apple Watch Notifications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.