- Preparing a book's assets
- Tips on writing
- Using an EPUB template
- Setting up a book's structure
- Working with photos for a book
- Adding video and audio to a page
- Adding hyperlinks to a book
- Finalizing a book
- Distributing a book
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hi, my name's Rich Harrington. And welcome to this course where we'll be exploring how to use iBooks Author to create an interactive ebook using your photos. This is a great way to showcase your photography, whether you're looking just to get more well-known or actually monetize your work. In this course, there are a lot of different areas that we'll explore. We'll start by taking a look at what it takes to publish a book using the iBooks platform. This includes how to get registered as a vendor, as well as what you need to understand about the ecosystem.
We'll then move on to preparing assets. Of course we'll tackle getting photos ready, but we'll also talk about writing advice as well as how to record audio or optimize video if you'd like to get a more feature-rich book. We'll then set up the book itself using a template. There are a variety of templates included with iBooks Author, as well as third party templates available from many different manufacturers. I'll walk you through how to customize a template to give it your own look. We'll then get the basic structure of the book put together by using an outline.
This will allow us to identify the major sections, as well as headings. Traditional book structure makes it easy to navigate using a table of contents, but you do need to set up an organized structure to do this. We'll then work with photos, learning how to add individual images, as well as interactive images such as full-screen photos or panoramic images that spread across multiple pages. There's a lot when it comes to photos with different widgets that allow you to create interactivity, and I'll make sure you know how to use all of them.
We'll then also explore working with media files, adding video and audio, as well as hyperlinks to make your book more interactive and engaging. Once that's done, we'll discuss some basic distribution strategies from registering with the iBookstore to self-distribution. You'll learn what options are available to you when you use iBooks Author and the iBookstore. And once we're all done, I'll give you some advice on how to succeed with publishing of your book. All right, we've got a lot of ground to cover, so let's get started.