- Seeing through your readers' eyes
- Responding to what readers want
- Understanding how people read
- Quickly grabbing your readers' attention
- Getting to the point
- Untangling (and subverting) grammar
- Using sentence rhythm for effect
- Matching style to genre
Skill Level Appropriate for all
- Every word you've ever seen was written to make an impact. Whether the impact is as the author intended depends on understanding, skill, and artistry. This course helps give your writing the impact that you want. It's designed with business writing in mind, but we'll also turn to two high impact forms of writing, advertising, and literature, for all the lessons that they can teach. We'll start with tips to improve your business writing right away, then we'll pull back to examine the reason for all writing, to communicate with people.
We'll look at how their backgrounds and motivations affect their understanding. Finally, you'll see how to create writing that's short, clear, and right. As Mark Twain said, "The difference "between the almost right word and the right word "is the difference between the lightning bug "and the lightning." With this course, you'll be able to make those decisions with greater confidence.