You could take an entire course on color theory. This video covers some very basic ideas about color to help you maximize your impact on your audiences by strategically thinking about the use of color.
- [Instructor] Color is incredibly powerful, … and equally as dangerous and difficult. … It adds visual interest to your visualizations … while potentially increasing readability of your data. … But just as it can make it more readable and beautiful, … color can just as easily make your visualization a hot mess. … Following just a few simple rules … can keep you from making a visual disaster. … There's a lot of established thinking … about how to use color in design, … but you could spend plenty of time … learning about how to combine colors … and what colors mean, … and human psychology and cultural references. … In fact you could do some of that here … on LinkedIn Learning. … Anyway, the main thing you need to understand … is that color is probably the hardest thing to learn. … You might be able to learn it, … but it's definitely not guaranteed. … And unfortunately, many of the tools you use, … yeah, I'm looking at you, Excel, … they don't help, because they use default color schemes …
- Describe the importance of audience and story in designing visual presentations.
- Identify Gestalt principles for visual processing.
- Compare and contrast headline styles.
- List general rules for the use of different chart types, colors, axes, and other formatting details.
- Understand the importance of and scientific basis for guiding principles in presentation design.