Join Brad Batesole for an in-depth discussion in this video Sign up for Google Search Console, part of Learning SEO Tools.
- [Instructor] The Google search console is one of the most important tools you can have in your arsenal. I talk about Google search console, formerly webmaster tools, in almost every one of my courses. It's honestly worth the few minutes it takes to get set up. Regardless of your size it's a fantastic service that helps you review how your site is doing within Google search results. It gives you the insights into how Google sees your website, both the good and the bad so you can make improvements. The search console tools allow you to see crawlers, remove content that you don't want appearing in search results, and to identify if there's any spam or malware issues your site is having.
You can also take a look at how your site is doing in search and what sites are linking back to you. Armed with this data, you'll have the ability to improve the experience for your users and work to improve your SEO. It's pretty easy to get set up. You'll start by going to google.com/webmasters. Once you're on this page you'll choose the blue sign in link in the upper right hand corner or you can select the search console button here in green in the center or the screen. I'll choose sign in in the upper right hand corner and if you're not already logged in to your Google account, go ahead and do that.
Now you don't need to be using a Google account associated with the business or site you're adding the search console, but it doesn't hurt if you have one set up. I'll go ahead and log in. And right after I log in it takes me straight to the search console dashboard. Since this is the first time we're using the tool we'll need to enter in our URL that we want to add. And I'll do that here by typing in www.explorecalifornia.org and choosing add a property.
Next we're going to need to verify that we own this website, and you can do this one of several ways. First is the Google recommended method which is to download this html file simply by selecting the blue link here on the screen, and it'll download that file. And then you'll need to upload that on your server in the root domain and you'll visit the URL that it shows you here, and if you can see the text then you'll be able to choose verify below. Now there's some other ways you can go about it. And you can select the alternate methods tab towards the top of the screen and Google is going to offer you some different suggestions.
You can select the radio button next to each to see the instructions on how to use that option. So here we can add an HTML tag, we can sign in to our domain name provider such as GoDaddy or Namecheap. We can use our Google Analytics account or even Google Tag Manager. Select the option that makes the most sense for you, follow the instructions, and then choose verify. In the next several movies I'll show you around the interface using an account that's been pulling data for a few months.
- Setting SEO goals
- Configuring Google Search Console
- Evaluating the Google index
- Using PageSpeed Insights
- Interpreting results and leveraging reports
- Using the Screaming Frog SEO Spider
- Generating a site map
- Getting started with Keyword Planner
- Multiplying keyword lists
- Structuring data
- Using SEMrush
- Conducting keyword research