Mastering mobile communication and engaging virtual employees is important, especially now that work can effectively be conducted from virtually anywhere with an internet connection. Strategies to monitor work, manage performance, and communicate effectively are discussed.
- Mastering mobile communication…and engaging virtual employees is important,…especially now that work can easily be done…anywhere with an internet connection and at any time.…This may seem like more to manage…but it doesn't have to be.…In fact, by putting a few practices in place,…you can make the most of managing a virtual team.…First and foremost, we know that relationships matter.…Since your team isn't co-located,…you don't have the benefit of running into each other…at the coffee machine or walking down the hall.…
This means that there are fewer opportunities…for casual, getting acquainted conversations…and that quick updates or clarifying questions…won't take place at the water cooler.…As a manager, you can create opportunities…for your team to connect virtually.…As often as possible try to meet in video conferences…rather than by phone.…The face-to-screen time isn't quite as good as face-to-face…but it's certainly better…than the impersonal nature of a speaker phone.…If you don't have the capability to video conference,…
- List the best arrangement for delegating responsibility.
- Recognize the characteristics of the five phases of the team development cycle.
- Explain the importance of taking time to build genuine personal relationships with team members.
- Identify the element that begins and ends the development cycle.
- Determine when to CC someone on a message.
- Recall the benefits of organizing venues for casual or informal contact among virtual team members.
- Summarize the steps to take following a discreet meeting with a difficult team member.