Join Brad Batesole for an in-depth discussion in this video Generate a site map, part of Learning SEO Tools.
- [Instructor] We talked earlier about the importance of a site map. If you're not using a platform that automatically generates sitemaps, you can leverage Screaming Frog to help you create one. The Create XML Sitemap feature will add all successfully crawled pages including PDFs and images to a sitemap file. What's nice is that even if you have over 49999 URLs, the SEO Spider will automatically create additional sitemap files and create a sitemap index file, referencing those sitemap locations.
This is standard protocol for Google and other engines. To get started, you'll crawl your site and then you'll select Sitemaps from the menu at the top and select Create XML Sitemap from the dropdown. Here you have some options available to you. You can configure things to include your Noindex Pages, your Canonicalised pages, any Paginated URLs, and PDFs. You can choose to use the Last Modified tag, which will tell Google the last time this page was modified.
You can either use the server response or the custom date. From here, you'll choose priority. It's optional whether to include the Priorirty attribute and the SEO spider allows you to configure these based on the level or the depth of thE URLs. You can view the level of URLs under the Level column in the internal tab. From here, you can choose the Change Frequency, which can either be calculated using the Last Modified header or you can make the changes yourself by choosing each level. This lets Google know when you typically change those pages.
In the Images tab, you can choose whether or not, you'd like to include images and from here, you'll choose Next. From here, you'll save your sitemap, review it, and the you can import that using Search console or by adding it to your site so that it can be accessed to yoursite.com/sitemap.xml
- Setting SEO goals
- Configuring Google Search Console
- Evaluating the Google index
- Using PageSpeed Insights
- Interpreting results and leveraging reports
- Using the Screaming Frog SEO Spider
- Generating a site map
- Getting started with Keyword Planner
- Multiplying keyword lists
- Structuring data
- Using SEMrush
- Conducting keyword research