You can return parts of a cell's content using the RIGHT(), LEFT(), and MID() functions. In this video, learn how to apply these functions to the cells in your workbook to pull specific data from the cell.
- [Instructor] In this video, we'll look … at three formatting functions, RIGHT, LEFT, and MID. … Let's jump right in to our document. … Let's take a look at how we can use these three functions … to pull text out of a string of text. … We'll begin with LEFT. … The LEFT function will return a specified number … of characters from the start of a string, … over on the left-hand side. … to step in to that function. … First, we will highlight the text by clicking in B2. … Type a comma, and then we will enter the number … of characters that we want returned from the left side. … I'll choose five, close my parentheses, and hit Enter. … And there are the first five characters … from that text string. … Let's take a look at the RIGHT function. … Now, the RIGHT does just the opposite … from the LEFT function, it will pull a certain number … of characters from the right side of a cell. … We'll click in D2 and type =RIGHT, tab, … and then we'll once again highlight B2 and type a comma. … And this time, let's return eight characters. …
- Importing data
- Formatting worksheets and workbooks
- Exporting workbooks
- Pasting data
- Modifying columns, rows, and cells
- Formatting cells
- Conditional formatting
- Creating tables
- Filtering and sorting table data
- Using references
- Performing calculations with functions
- Formatting text with functions
- Creating charts
- Taking the practice exam
Skill Level Intermediate
Who should take this course?1m 15s
1. Microsoft Office Specialist Exam Overview
2. Manage Worksheets and Workbooks
3. Manage Data Cells and Ranges
4. Manage Tables and Table Data
5. Perform Operations Using Formulas and Functions
6. Manage Charts
7. Final Practice Exam
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.