Ambient occlusion is an overall lighting model for the room that can be used in compositing to enhance light and shadow. In this video, George sets up an ambient occlusion pass using basic materials.
- [Instructor] Now that we're set up for render layers … let's go ahead and do our ambient occlusion layer. … Now this is going to be a little bit different … than the way we did it previously … and I want to make sure that we hide a few lights … and the floor lamp is going to be handled differently … simply because the material itself … is what is emitting the light. … So let's go into Rendering, State Sets, … and let's create another layer for our ambient occlusion. … So I'm going to go ahead and select that, right-click, rename, … we'll just call this AO, for ambient occlusion. … And I'm going to start recording. … Now for this, I actually want to turn off this mesh light, … which is the fireplace light, … because that will actually … show up as a solid orange object when we render. … So I'm just going to turn that off, … so we don't really need that. … And now that I've turned this off, … let's go into the Material Editor … and create an ambient occlusion material. … So I'm just going to pick an empty slot …
- Types of exposure compensation
- Whether to use photometric lighting
- Adding sunlight
- Adjusting auxiliary lights
- Balancing lights
- Rendering passes using State Sets
- Adding an ambient occlusion pass
- Adding reflection and selection pass
- Creating and adjusting flames
- Simulating firelight
- Illuminating a floor lamp
- Rendering for mattes
Skill Level Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
V-Ray: Control Color Bleed in SketchUpwith Brian Bradley1h 2m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Scene
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.