In this ZBrush stylized sculpting training lesson you learn how to work with layers within ZBrush. By beginning to sculpt on a layer, it gives you the ability to reduce the opacity, or even go into negative opacity to push the sculpt down into the object as opposed to it being raised on the surface. You learn how to mask out areas of the octopus so that you can sculpt on top of the layer.
- [Voiceover] Okay, now we're ready to begin working…on the octopus motif that will cover the exterior…of our book cover.…I just went ahead and saved the book at this stage,…because we're going to start working…with some new techniques and we want to be careful,…just in case we do anything wrong,…or we happen to damage the book cover,…that we're able to back up in our work.…I want to demonstrate a new technique with you,…which is working in layers,…and before I work on this cover,…I'm going to just create a duplicate,…just in case,…so that we're always working on an extra panel.…
Even though layers is not going to cause us any problems,…but it may if we decide to bake,…and we forget to do the duplicate.…So at least we're ready.…Once I open the layer panel,…you'll notice that there is a little plus sign.…When I select on my plus,…that creates a new layer,…just like in Photoshop,…and it allows me to actually start working now,…right on top of the book.…The cool part is that it's a layer,…so we have the ability to physically turn it on and off.…
- Importing assets
- Sculpting and massing
- Positioning with the Move tool
- Adding texture and polish
- Stylizing edges and asymmetry
- Duplicating, moving, and merging parts
- Scaling and rescaling
- Working with layers
Skill Level Beginner
Sculpting a Creature with ZBrush and Photoshopwith Rayce Bird2h 36m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Detailing and Polishing
3. Sculpting the Book and Pages
4. Final Assembly and Adjustments
Final wrap-up2m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.