In this ZBrush stylized sculpting training lesson you learn how to use the Masking brush to mask out areas of the octopus tentacle before beginning to sculpt on the tentacles. Your instructor demonstrates several techniques using both the positive and the negative of the masking, as well as how to soften the mask so the edges are a bit softer to blend better into the pirate journal.
- [Voiceover] Okay, so I'm on the layer…and what I want to do now is start working on the octopus…and I can do that fairly easily.…I'm gonna turn off my alpha…so that I have more of a rounder brush.…Also, going to lower my focal shift…and draw size down.…I think I'll bring the intensity up.…Yeah. So, I want something a bit more like this happening.…You could just march right right in there…and just start painting in the tentacle if you want.…
Another way of doing this,…that is a little bit more controlling,…is where you work with a mask.…So, by holding down the Control key,…I'm able to actually paint in my mask.…The only thing is if you notice…I have a very tight radius on my focal shift right now.…Whereas when I select the mask, the radius changes.…So, I'm going to Control Z back…and I'm going to also bring this down…to approximately the same, minus 79.…
And then, I'm going to use that now for my masking.…The cool part is now when I paint the mask,…I have the freedom of literally just focusing on the shape…and not worrying about the opacity or the strength…
- Importing assets
- Sculpting and massing
- Positioning with the Move tool
- Adding texture and polish
- Stylizing edges and asymmetry
- Duplicating, moving, and merging parts
- Scaling and rescaling
- Working with layers
Skill Level Beginner
Sculpting a Creature with ZBrush and Photoshopwith Rayce Bird2h 36m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Detailing and Polishing
3. Sculpting the Book and Pages
4. Final Assembly and Adjustments
Final wrap-up2m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.